Health and social care in key stage 4 is an optional subject and is delivered across two years.

There are currently 3 million health and social care staff employed in the NHS (The Kings Fund, 2022). The local population in Barking and Dagenham have significant health problems, at rates higher than other areas of London for conditions such as heart disease, diabetes and respiratory disease (Census, 2011). Therefore, our aim as a subject is to meet the needs of the community and prepare our young people to ultimately secure jobs in the health and social care sector. Within Health and Social Care, we aim to develop caring and compassionate individuals who develop a passion and desire to work within this expanding industry. Students will develop soft skills such as managing their emotions, active listening and working as part of a team.

Health and social care is delivered in an engaging and supportive manner, using the resources within the classroom to allow pupils to learn and apply their understanding in different ways. Lessons are engaging, adapted and all students are expected to contribute. The three components that make up the course set the foundation with the first two components covering each sector. The third component is combined of health and social care knowledge and enables the learner to apply knowledge from component 1 and 2. Additionally, students who study the subject are encouraged to complete work experience in the health or social care sector. This will support application of the care values in the real world, enhancing learner knowledge.

Health and Social Care in key stage 5 is the next level of progression for our students which is equivalent to three A levels. The qualification ties into a long-term plan as it enables our students to secure a place in university, apprenticeship or work as next steps. The course provides a broad range of opportunities for our students to develop their independence preparing them to compete with others and succeed. They also play an active role in the community through work experience, giving back to the community as well as developing their soft skills. This is 100+ hours of which a log must be completed through reflection, teacher observation and witness testimonies. We want our students to be resilient and we promote this through challenging our students in class discussions but also taking responsibility through their studies and work experience.

The Extended Diploma is delivered over two years; in year one students complete six units and year two six units. There are thirteen units altogether and the work experience unit is delivered across the two years depending on the number of hours completed. Of the thirteen units four are external assessments (formal exams) which is 40% and the rest are assignments, 60% of the course. Topics covered include; human development, working in health and social care, safeguarding, equality and diversity, research, human anatomy, public health, mental wellbeing, sociological perspectives, and psychological perspectives. Enrichment is offered through guest speakers from the health and social care sector, educational trips, and work experience.

Please click on the link below to see our Programme of Study for Health and Social Care:

Health and Social Care Curriculum Overview

Translate »